SubjectRe: [patch V2 21/28] x86/speculation: Prepare for conditional IBPB in switch_mm()

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Sorry, but that's really a purely academic exercise.
> >
> > I would guess that it’s actually very easy to force mm_struct* reuse.
> > Don’t the various allocators try to allocate hot memory? There’s nothing
> > hotter than a just-freed allocation of the same size.
>
> Sure, but this is about a indirect branch predictor attack against
> something which reuses the mm.
>
> So you'd need to pull off:
>
> P1 poisons branch predictor
> P1 exit
>
> P2 starts and resuses mm(P1) and uses the poisoned branch predictor
>
> the only thing between P1 and P2 is either idle or some other kernel
> thread, but no other user task. If that happens then the code would not
> issue IBPB as it assumes to switch back to the same process.
>
> Even if you can pull that off the speculation would hit the startup code of
> P2, which is truly a source of secret information. Creating a valuable
> attack based on mm reuse is really less proabable than a lottery jackpot.
>
> So using mm is really good enough and results in better assembly code which
> is surely more valuable than addressing some hypothetical hole.

OTOH we could probably close even this with very little cost if we added
an IBPB to non-threaded fork() and vfork()+exec() paths? Those are really
slow paths compared to all the context switch paths we are trying to
optimize here.

Alternatively we could IBPB on the post-exit() final task struct freeing,
which too is a relative slow path compared to the context switch paths.

But no strong opinion.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2018-11-26 14:36    [W:0.309 / U:0.400 seconds]