SubjectRe: [patch V2 21/28] x86/speculation: Prepare for conditional IBPB in switch_mm()
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> >> [We tried similar in some really early versions, but it was replaced
> >> with the context id later.]
> >>
> >> One issue with using the pointer is that the pointer can be reused
> >> when the original mm_struct is freed, and then gets reallocated
> >> immediately to an attacker. Then the attacker may avoid the IBPB.
> >>
> >> Given it's probably hard to generate any reasonable leak bandwidth with
> >> such a complex scenario, but it still seemed better to close the hole.
> >
> > Sorry, but that's really a purely academic exercise.
>
> I would guess that it’s actually very easy to force mm_struct* reuse.
> Don’t the various allocators try to allocate hot memory? There’s nothing
> hotter than a just-freed allocation of the same size.

Sure, but this is about a indirect branch predictor attack against
something which reuses the mm.

So you'd need to pull off:

P1 poisons branch predictor
P1 exit

P2 starts and resuses mm(P1) and uses the poisoned branch predictor

the only thing between P1 and P2 is either idle or some other kernel
thread, but no other user task. If that happens then the code would not
issue IBPB as it assumes to switch back to the same process.

Even if you can pull that off the speculation would hit the startup code of
P2, which is truly a source of secret information. Creating a valuable
attack based on mm reuse is really less proabable than a lottery jackpot.

So using mm is really good enough and results in better assembly code which
is surely more valuable than addressing some hypothetical hole.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2018-11-26 08:11    [W:0.161 / U:0.176 seconds]