SubjectRe: [Regression?] 1ea0ce4069 ("selinux: allow changing labels for cgroupfs") stops Android from booting
On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 16:23 -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 12:48 -0800, Nick Kralevich wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.go
> > v>

> > > Oh, I see - it is the latter.
> > >
> > > For example, init.rc does mkdir /dev/cpuctl/bg_non_interactive,
> > > which
> > > internally looks up the context for that directory from
> > > file_contexts
> > > and does a setfscreatecon() followed by a mkdir().  Previously,
> > > that
> > > was ignored because cgroup did not support anything other than
> > > the
> > > policy-defined label.  But now it will try to use that label,
> > > which
> > > in
> > > turn will trigger a denial in enforcing mode and the create will
> > > fail.
> > >
> > > So this is an incompatible change and needs to be reverted.
> > > We'll need to wrap it up with a policy capability or something to
> > > allow
> > > it to be enabled only if the policy correctly supports it.  Even
> > > better, we should instead just allow the policy to specify which
> > > filesystems should support this behavior (already on the issues
> > > list).
> > >

> > If Android is the only system affected by this bug, I would prefer
> > just fix Android to allow for this patch, rather than having
> > additional kernel complexity.
>
> Well, it does break userspace (even if it happens to only affect
> Android, which isn't clear, e.g. possibly a distribution would
> likewise
> suffer breakage under a tighter policy), and we already have a long-
> standing open issue to replace the current set of whitelisted
> filesystem types with something configuration-driven.  So I'm ok with
> reverting it and requiring it to be done in a more general way.  The
> latter is something we want regardless.

Also, I'm not sure it can be fixed cleanly just by policy, or at least
not just via kernel policy.  You wouldn't want to allow creation of
cgroup files in the contexts presently specified via file_contexts; you
would need to modify file_contexts to correctly specify the cgroup file
contexts.  And that in turn raises another existing issue:
distinguishing the label for the mountpoint directory versus the
mounted directory.

  Last update: 2017-02-27 22:30    [W:1.778 / U:1.640 seconds]