Subject[RFC] reference count hardening via kref: another attempt
Date
I would like to harden the kernel against reference count
overflow bugs. The commit message of the patch contains
a short analysis of code size impact, an explanation why I
want reference count hardening to land in the kernel, and a
description of the algorithm I'd want to use.

The reason I'm writing a cover letter is that my patch, on
its own, is pretty useless: My patch only adds hardening to
struct kref, but nearly all reference counters are
currently implemented using atomic_t, which is a generic
atomic number type. For the patch to be useful, I'll have
to go through the kernel and, for every atomic_t, decide
whether it is a reference count and, if so, change it
(together with all accesses to it) to a kref. According to
a quick grep, there are currently about 2700 atomic_t
struct members or variables in the kernel, so it's going to
be a big amount of work, and the resulting patches will be
gigantic.

Therefore, before I actually spend lots of time on this,
I'd like to know:

- Does the reference count hardening in my patch look
okay, and does it have good chances to get accepted
when submitted for inclusion in the kernel at a later
point in time?

- If I manually go through the kernel and write a
gigantic atomic_t -> struct kref patch (or a few
patches coarsely grouped by subsystem), how high is
the probability that it will get accepted?

(Note: I won't have much time for kernel work in the next
four months or so - but afterwards, I could probably
allocate time for getting this done.)

Jann Horn (1):
kref: pin objects with dangerously high reference count

init/Kconfig | 16 ++++++++++++++++
kernel/Makefile | 2 +-
kernel/kref.c | 17 +++++++++++++++++
create mode 100644 kernel/kref.c

--
2.8.0.rc3.226.g39d4020

  Last update: 2016-06-25 04:01    [W:0.398 / U:0.108 seconds]