SubjectLinux 4.9
So Linux 4.9 is out, and the merge window for 4.10 is thus open.

With the extra week for 4.9, the timing for the merge window is
obviously a bit awkward, and it technically closes in two weeks on
Christmas Day. But that is a pure technicality, because I will
certainly stop pulling on the 23rd at the latest, and if I get roped
into xmas food prep, even that date might be questionable.

I could extend the merge window rather than cut it short, but I'm not
going to. I suspect we all want a nice calm winter break, so if your
stuff isn't ready to be merged early, the solution is to just not
merge it yet at all, and wait for 4.11. Just so you all know (I
already bcc'd the main merge window suspects in a separate mailing
last week, I'm just repeating myself here to avoid anybody being
confused about timing).

Anyway, back to 4.9 itself.

I'm pretty sure this is the biggest release we've ever had, at least
in number of commits. If you look at the number of lines changed,
we've had bigger releases in the past, but they have tended to be due
to specific issues (v4.2 got a lot of lines from the AMD GPU register
definition files, for example, and we've had big re-organizations that
caused a lot of lines in the past: v3.2 was big due to staging, v3.7
had the automated uapi header file disintegration, etc). In contrast,
4.9 is just big.

Admittedly a chunk of that is the new greybus staging support, but
that really isn't the bulk of it - it's just another small detail in
the overall "yes, v4.9 is big" picture.

Other than just the size, 4.9 looks fairly normal. A bit over two
thirds drivers (staging, GPU and networking are the bulk of it, but
it's all over), with the rest looking fairly normal too: arch updates,
documentation, generic networking, filesystems..

The shortlog (16k+ commits, with another 1100 merge commits to round
things out) is obviously much too big to put here, and wouldn't be
legible anyway. So as is my wont, I'm appending just the log of my
merges.

Linus

---

Al Viro (10):
VFS splice updates
misc vfs updates
splice fixups
vfs xattr updates
more vfs updates
uaccess.h prepwork
more misc uaccess and vfs updates
VFS fixes
vfs fixes
vfs splice fix

Alex Williamson (2):
VFIO updates
VFIO fix

Alexandre Belloni (2):
RTC updates
RTC fixes

Andrew Morton (7):
updates
more updates
misc fixes x5

Anna Schumaker (4):
NFS client updates
NFS client bugfixes x3

Arnd Bergmann (10):
ARM SoC cleanups
ARM SoC platform updates
ARM SoC defconfig updates
ARM SoC 64-bit updates
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM DT updates
ARM 64-bit DT updates
ARM SoC late DT updates
fixes for -Wmaybe-uninitialized
ARM SoC fixes

Bjorn Andersson (2):
remoteproc updates
rpmsg updates

Bjorn Helgaas (5):
PCI updates
PCI fixes x4

Bob Peterson (1):
gfs2 updates

Borislav Petkov (1):
EDAC updates

Brian Norris (2):
MTD updates
MTD fixes

Bruce Fields (3):
nfsd updates
nfsd bugfixes
nfsd bugfix

Chris Mason (4):
btrfs updates
btrfs fixes x3

Chris Metcalf (2):
arch/tile bugfix
arch/tile bugfix

Corey Minyard (1):
IPMI updates

Dan Williams (4):
libnvdimm updates
libnvdimm fixes x3

Darren Hart (3):
x86 platform drivers updates
x86 platform driver fixes x2

Dave Airlie (10):
drm updates
drm fixes
more drm fixes
drm x86/pat regression fixes
drm fixes x5
drm fix

Dave Chinner (4):
xfs and iomap updates
XFS support for shared data extents
xfs fixes
xfs fix

David Kleikamp (1):
jfs updates

David Miller (16):
networking updates
sparc updates
networking fixups
networking fixes x9
sparc fixes x3
sparc fix

David Teigland (1):
dlm fix

David Vrabel (2):
xen updates
xen fixes

David Woodhouse (1):
IOMMU fixes

Dmitry Torokhov (4):
input subsystem updates
some more input subsystem updates
input subsystem updates
input fixes

Doug Ledford (6):
hdi1 rdma driver updates
main rdma updates
more rdma updates x2
rdma qedr RoCE driver
rmda fixes

Eric Biederman (1):
namespace updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (2):
m68k updates
m68k fixes

Greg KH (14):
char/misc driver updates
driver core updates
tty and serial updates
usb/phy/extcon updates
staging and IIO updates
USB fixes
tty/serial driver fixes
staging and IIO driver fixes
driver core fixes
char/misc driver fixes
USB / PHY fixes
driver core fixes
char/misc fixes
USB fixes

Greg Ungerer (1):
m68knommu updates

Grek KH (1):
staging/IIO fixes

Guenter Roeck (4):
hwmon updates
hwmon fixes
hwmon fix
openrisc fix

Hans-Christian Noren Egtvedt (1):
avr32 update

Helge Deller (5):
parisc updates x2
parisc fixes x3

Herbert Xu (6):
crypto updates
crypto fixes x4
crypto fix

Ilya Dryomov (4):
Ceph updates
Ceph fixes x2
ceph fix

Ingo Molnar (42):
RCU updates
core SMP updates
EFI updates
locking updates
perf updates
RAS updates
scheduler changes
x86 apic updates
low-level x86 updates
x86 boot updates
x86 cleanups
x86 platform changes
x86 timer updates
x86 vdso updates
misc fixes
irq fixes
locking fixes x2
perf fixes x5
timer fixlet
x86 fixes x5
scheduler fix x3
EFI fixes x2
irq fixes
vmap stack fixes
objtool, irq and scheduler fixes
timer fixes
x86 fixes
irq fix
scheduler fixes
objtool fix

Jacek Anaszewski (2):
LED driver updates
LED subsystem update

Jaegeuk Kim (2):
f2fs updates
f2fs bugfix

James Bottomley (9):
SCSI updates
more SCSI updates
SCSI fixes x6
SCSI fix

James Hogan (1):
metag architecture fix

James Morris (5):
security subsystem updates
key fixes
TPM fix
apparmor bugfix
keys fixes

Jan Kara (2):
misc filesystem and quota fixes
misc filesystem fixes

Jeff Layton (1):
file locking updates

Jens Axboe (8):
block layer updates
blk-mq irq/cpu mapping updates
blk-mq CPU hotplug update
block fixes x4
more block fixes

Jesper Nilsson (1):
CRIS updates

Jiri Kosina (6):
HID updates
livepatching updates
trivial updates
HID fixes x3

Joerg Roedel (2):
IOMMU updates
IOMMU fixes

Jon Mason (1):
NTB fixes

Jonathan Corbet (2):
documentation updates
one more documentation update

Jussi Brar (1):
mailbox updates

Kees Cook (3):
pstore updates
gcc plugins update
gcc plugin fixes

Lee Jones (4):
backlight updates
MFD updates
MFD fixes x2

Ley Foon Tan (1):
nios2 update

Linus Walleij (7):
pin control updates
GPIO updates
first round of pin control fixes
GPIO fixes x3
pin control fixes

Lorenzo Stoakes (1):
the gup_flags cleanups

Luis de Bethencourt (1):
befs fixes

Mark Brown (6):
regmap updates
regulator updates
spi updates
regmap fixes
regulator fix
spi fixes

Martin Schwidefsky (3):
s390 updates
s390 fixes x2

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (4):
media updates
media fixes x2
media fix

Max Filippov (2):
Xtensa updates
Xtensa fixes

Michael Ellerman (7):
powerpc updates
more powerpc updates
powerpc fixes x5

Michael Tsirkin (1):
virtio updates

Michal Marek (3):
kbuild updates
misc kbuild changes
kbuild fixes

Mike Marshall (4):
orangefs updates
oreangefs updates
orangefs fix x2

Mike Snitzer (2):
device mapper updates
device mapper fixes

Miklos Szeredi (6):
fuse updates
overlayfs updates
overlayfs fixes
fuse fixes
overlayfs fix
fuse fix

Nicholas Bellinger (1):
SCSI target fixes

Olof Johansson (3):
ARM SoC fixes x3

Paolo Bonzini (2):
KVM updates
KVM fixes

Paul Moore (1):
audit updates

Radim Krčmář (5):
KVM updates
KVM fixes x4

Rafael Wysocki (13):
power management updates
ACPI updates
PNP update
more power management updates
more ACPI updates
power management fix
ACPI fixes x4
power management fixes x2
ACPI fix

Ralf Baechle (4):
MIPS updates
MIPS fixes x3

Rich Felker (1):
arch/sh updates

Richard Weinberger (3):
UBI/UBIFS updates
UBI[FS] fixes
ubi/ubifs fixes

Rob Herring (1):
DeviceTree updates

Russell King (6):
ARM fix x2
ARM updates
ARM pcmcia updates
ARM fixes x2

Rusty Russell (1):
module maintainership updates

Sebastian Reichel (2):
power supply and reset updates
HSI fix

Shaohua Li (2):
MD updates
MD fixes

Shuah Khan (1):
kselftest updates

Stefan Richter (2):
firewire fixlet
FireWire (IEEE 1394) fixes

Stephen Boyd (5):
clk framework updates
clk fixes x4

Steve French (2):
cifs fixes x2

Steven Rostedt (2):
tracing updates
tracing fixes

Takashi Iwai (5):
sound updates
sound fixes x4

Ted Ts'o (3):
ext4 updates
ext4 fixes x2

Tejun Heo (6):
libata updates
percpu updates
cgroup updates
libata fixes x3

Thierry Reding (2):
pwm updates
pwm fixes

Thomas Gleixner (12):
timer updates
irq updates
CPU hotplug updates
timer fix
irq fixes
scheduler fix
perf tooling updates
x86 updates
protection keys syscall interface
timer updates
x86 bugfix
stack vmap fixups

Tomi Valkeinen (2):
fbdev updates
fbdev fix

Ulf Hansson (5):
MMC updates
MMC fixes x4

Vineet Gupta (4):
ARC updates x2
ARC fixes x2

Vinod Koul (2):
dmaengine updates
dmaengine fixes

Will Deacon (4):
arm64 updates
arm64 fixes x2
arm64 fix

Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
watchdog updates

Wolfram Sang (7):
i2c updates
more i2c updates
i2c fixes x3
i2c fix x2

Zhang Rui (3):
thermal managament updates
thermal updates
thermal management fix

  Last update: 2016-12-11 21:51    [W:0.052 / U:0.264 seconds]