SubjectRe: [RFC v1 0/3] driver-core: add asynch module loading support
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 05:53:13PM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello, Greg.
>
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 01:40:35PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Right, all (well almost all) I wanted is for individual drivers to declare
> > > their probe() functions asynchronous and driver core scheduling async attach
> > > and properly handle failures from it.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I want as well.
> >
> > Luis, care to redo the patches in this way? It should be a lot simpler
> > (no messing around with init levels and linker fun...)
>
> I don't think binding that switch to the driver is gonna work. This
> is mainly about the behavior expected by the entity which initiated
> module loading not about specific drivers.

Why would you say that? In my particular userspace we do not have modules.

> I'm fairly certain that
> there are userland scripts which depend on synchronous device probing
> on module loading, especially for storage devices, so we can't simply
> mark, say, libata as needing async probing and do it always
> asynchronously.

Right. But for many devices (input ones for example, USB as well, etc) that are
essentially hot-pluggable userspace has been long ready to handle async order.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

  Last update: 2014-09-01 01:01    [W:0.159 / U:0.088 seconds]