    SubjectRe: [RFC v1 0/3] driver-core: add asynch module loading support
    On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 11:21:18PM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
    > I still believe its a good approach if we wanted to scale it but that
    > would require the desire to do so, I obviously considered it worthwhile
    > as I shaved off at least ~1 second off kernel boot time when doing an
    > original proof of concept and only doing drivers, and taking into
    > consideration my kenrel takes ~5 seconds before userspace is reached.

    Sidenote, something is really wrong with your hardware or configuration
    if it takes 5 seconds to get to userspace on a modern system these days.
    Everything[1] I run is in the sub-second boot time before userspace is
    hit, and everything boots to full graphics mode in less than 5 seconds.
    The long-pole is by far, the bios/uefi these days.

    I think you need new hardware, or a better kernel .config file :)

    > I'll toss this in the bin for now though and send something based on
    > Tejun's approach shortly!

    That would be great, thanks for doing this.

    greg k-h

    [1] A wide range of laptops and server/build boxes, some 3+ years old,
    this isn't just new hardware by any means.

      Last update: 2014-09-05 00:21    [W:6.634 / U:0.112 seconds]