Subjectmmu_notifier and i915_gem_userptr.c
Hey Chris,

recently I had a look at i915_gem_userptr.c in order to extend the
mmu_notifier call-backs implemented there. My goal is to implement the
change_pte call-back where it is necessary to get rid of it being
wrapped mn_invalidate_range_start/end() calls (for the reason see
commit 6bdb913f).

For most users of mmu_notifiers this is easy, except the i915 driver :)
The invalidate_range_start notifier implemented there can sleep, so it
can't be reused for a change_pte implementation (because change_pte is
called under ptl spin_lock and is not allowed to sleep). On the other
hand you also didn't implement the invalidate_page notifier, so I am not
sure whether the code actually cares about the somewhat similar
change_pte events?

Here is where change_pte is called from:

* In KSM code when pages are merged (shouldn't be relevant
because KSM doesn't merged pages returned by get_user_pages())
* In uprobes code when a user-page is replaced by a kernel page
(should only handle .text sections, so probaly not relevant
here)
* When someone writes to a COW page in mm/memory.c (this looks
relevant looking at forked processes, on the other hand,
this is currently handled by unbinding the vma from the
object list in the i915 driver)

I am not familiar with the i915 hardware and the driver implementation
details, so I wanted to ask whether the driver

1) Cares about the change_pte event?
2) If it cares, what is the best way to implement it? What the
invalidate_range_start() notifier does seems a bit overkill,
since for the change_pte event nothing is unmapped (but maybe
remapped)

So any insight you could provide here would be useful :)

Thanks,

Joerg

  Last update: 2014-06-19 18:01    [W:2.175 / U:0.016 seconds]