SubjectRe: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)
From
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 04:01:49PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:32:13PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Sure, but the real problem is not the block mapping or allocation
> > > path - even if the test is changed to take that out of the picture,
> > > we still have timestamp updates being done on every single page
> > > fault. ext4, XFS and btrfs all do transactional timestamp updates
> > > and have nanosecond granularity, so every page fault is resulting in
> > > a transaction to update the timestamp of the file being modified.
> >
> > I have (unmergeable) patches to fix this:
> >
> > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/92476
>
> The big problem with this approach is that not doing the
> timestamp update on page faults is going to break the inode change
> version counting because for ext4, btrfs and XFS it takes a
> transaction to bump that counter. NFS needs to know the moment a
> file is changed in memory, not when it is written to disk.

I don't think the in-memory updates of the data and the version have to
be completely atomic, if that's what you mean.

> Also, NFS
> requires the change to the counter to be persistent over server
> failures, so it needs to be changed as part of a transaction....

I'm not sure those two updates have to be a single atomic transaction on
disk, either.

(Though the reboot cases are more complicated, I may not have thought it
through.)

(By the way, I wonder what happens if we reuse a change attribute value
after a crash? There's probably a (hard to hit) bug there.)

--b.