SubjectRe: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@fieldses.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 04:01:49PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

>> > I have (unmergeable) patches to fix this:
>> >
>> > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/92476
>>
>> The big problem with this approach is that not doing the
>> timestamp update on page faults is going to break the inode change
>> version counting because for ext4, btrfs and XFS it takes a
>> transaction to bump that counter. NFS needs to know the moment a
>> file is changed in memory, not when it is written to disk.
>
> I don't think the in-memory updates of the data and the version have to
> be completely atomic, if that's what you mean.
>
>> Also, NFS
>> requires the change to the counter to be persistent over server
>> failures, so it needs to be changed as part of a transaction....
>
> I'm not sure those two updates have to be a single atomic transaction on
> disk, either.

I hope not, because they aren't currently in the same transaction, and
putting them in the same transaction require starting a transaction on
page fault and doing the equivalent of writepages when the same
transaction is committed.

With my changes [1], they still aren't, but putting them in the same
transaction would probably be only a couple lines of code, and it
would actually improve performance. (I won't write those couple lines
of code because I don't know anything at all about jbd2.)

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/16/510

--Andy

  Last update: 2013-08-20 00:41    [W:0.164 / U:1.436 seconds]