SubjectRe: Intel e1000 ethernet device, change in kernel v3.4, and jumbo frames setting DENIED.
Date
"Henrique de Moraes Holschuh"  wrote in message

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012, D. Stussy wrote:
> There has been some changes to the driver such that things like
> checksum verification is offloaded from the CPU. However, this
> blocks the ability to set a jumbo frame. The kernel does record an
> error indicating that checksum offloading need be disabled fro jumbo
> frame MTU sizes to be used. My e1000 interfaces use the 82574L
> chipset.
>
> 1) Was this an intentional change?

Yes, but I understand Intel is trying to come up with a way not to need it.

> 2) How do I disable that function so I can set jumbo frames with
> "ifconfig" or "ip"? I simply don't know what setting I need to
> pass.

ethtool can do it. Check its manpage, it can manipulate the various NIC
offload engines, as well as other parameters such as dma ring buffer size,
etc.
I'll look into it. Thanks.

  Last update: 2012-07-05 22:41    [W:0.078 / U:0.028 seconds]