    SubjectMore reiserfs hangs, easy to reproduce (Sheevaplug)

    I had since the latest 2.6 kernels lockups in a sheevaplug computer (without
    swap), when it reached OOMK conditions. The machine was in such a deadlock that
    it only answered to sysrq request through the serial console. Almost every OOMK
    caused this, so once you reproduce an OOMK, I think it will almost sure hang the
    system. The lock looks related to swapping in read-only pages of programs.

    As I recently experienced reiserfs lockups in a desktop pc
    (, I wondered if those
    OOMK lockups could happen due to the reiserfs of /. So I moved / to ext4, and
    all locks disappeared. OOMK works fine now.

    So I'm definitely leaving reiserfs due to the deadlocks; a pity, because it
    served very well to me for many years. I'd be glad to use it again with fixed
    deadlock troubles.

    If it's of help of anyone, here is the log (since just before the OOMK) taken by
    netconsole, linux 3.4.1, and with some sysrq dumps. Since the OOMK message
    appears, the machine answers to nothing but sysrq requests.

    The log:

      Last update: 2012-06-10 17:21    [W:0.022 / U:11.776 seconds]