    SubjectRe: [Lsf] [RFC] writeback and cgroup
    On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Vivek Goyal <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 11:36:55AM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
    > Hi Tejun,
    > Thanks for the RFC and looking into this issue. Few thoughts inline.
    > [..]
    >> IIUC, without cgroup, the current writeback code works more or less
    >> like this.  Throwing in cgroup doesn't really change the fundamental
    >> design.  Instead of a single pipe going down, we just have multiple
    >> pipes to the same device, each of which should be treated separately.
    >> Of course, a spinning disk can't be divided that easily and their
    >> performance characteristics will be inter-dependent, but the place to
    >> solve that problem is where the problem is, the block layer.
    > How do you take care of thorottling IO to NFS case in this model? Current
    > throttling logic is tied to block device and in case of NFS, there is no
    > block device.

    Similarly smb2 gets congestion info (number of "credits") returned from
    the server on every response - but not sure why congestion
    control is tied to the block device when this would create
    problems for network file systems

      Last update: 2012-04-04 17:39    [W:0.019 / U:9.860 seconds]