SubjectRe: best way to handle multi-line kernel messages
On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 17:30 -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
> a query was made on the rsyslog mailing list about the possibility of
> rsyslog handling kernel messages better. Currently each line of logs is a
> separate log entry (and as log entries traverse networks there are thigns
> taht can cause them to get re-ordered). It would be nice to be able to
> combine multi-line logs into one log entry.
>
> The problem is figuring out how to tell when one log entry finishes and
> the next starts.
>
> >From examining logs it looks like follow-up lines are frequently (but not
> always) indented with some form of whitespace (this indentation taking
> place after the timestamp if that's enabled)
> but this is not consistantly the case.

No, not at all. Most follow-on lines are pr_cont.

> I suspect that there is not currently any good way for something to really
> tell when one log entry has finished and another is starting,

There isn't.

> but I wanted
> to ask here if there is anything that I should be able to rely on (with
> the thought that fixing log messages that don't work that way coudl be
> somethign for -janitors or newbes to work on)

you'll have to implement something like:

pr_start(&cookie);
pr_multi_<level>(cookie, fmt, ...);
pr_multi_cont(cookie, fmt, ...);
pr_end(cookie);

> or is this a completely hopeless task that people receiving logs should
> not even try to do?

There really aren't _that_ many places where
multiple calls to printk/pr_level are made.

  Last update: 2011-07-14 02:53    [W:0.037 / U:1.712 seconds]