    SubjectLinux 2.6.39
    So it's delayed a few days, and I really was struggling with the
    decision of whether I wanted to cut a final release at all: it could
    easily have made more sense to just do an -rc8. However, since I'm
    going to be at LinuxCon Japan in two weeks, the choice for me ended up
    whether I should just release, or drag it out *three* more weeks, or
    have some really messy merge window with a break in between.

    None of those choices really looked all that great. There were
    certainly more code changes since -rc7 than I really was all that
    happy with, and some outstanding discussion. Doing another -rc
    wouldn't necessarily have been a bad idea, but then I just decided
    that if I held off making the release, next week my timing choices
    would have been even worse.

    So there it is. The one thing that pushed me over the edge is that
    this release window has been fairly "easy". -rc2 was calm, -rc3 was
    _really_ calm, and -rc7 was tiny. And while this has more commits than
    -rc7 had, I didn't feel like that changed the overall picture much: we
    really did have much less churn after the merge window closed than we
    usually do. Which actually makes me pretty happy about the state of
    2.6.39.

    (Just to put that "calm after the merge window" in quantitative
    numbers: doing some git statistics, we have fewer commits after -rc1
    than any of the last ten releases).

    As to the merge window for 2.6.40 (which is obviously open now):
    because of the delay, the normal 14 days would be with the last two
    days when I'm already in Japan. Which is certainly not unthinkable
    (I'll have my laptop and access to wifi, and could do some final
    tweaks that way even if I wouldn't want to do a bigger portion of a
    merge window while traveling). But I do want to warn that if I get the
    feeling that I've merged "enough", I might just make it easier for
    myself and cut it two days short and release just before I leave on
    Memorial day (which for the non-US based of you is May 30th this
    year).

    Having a slightly shorter (and actually smaller, not just more
    hurried) merge window and release cycle for 2.6.40 might not be a
    horrible fate. Of course, I just know that you're all actively trying
    to sabotage that dream of mine.

    But I can still dream, can't I?

    Linus

    ---
    Alex Deucher (4):
    drm/radeon/kms: fix cayman acceleration
    drm/radeon/kms: fix tiling reg on fusion
    drm/radeon/kms: fix extended lvds info parsing
    drm/radeon/kms: add some evergreen/ni safe regs

    Alexander Stein (2):
    Input: ads7846 - make transfer buffers DMA safe
    Input: ads7846 - remove unused variable from struct ads7845_ser_req

    Alexandre Bounine (1):
    rapidio: fix default routing initialization

    Andi Kleen (2):
    mm: add alloc_pages_exact_nid()
    memcg: allocate memory cgroup structures in local nodes

    Andy Adamson (2):
    NFSv41: Resend on NFS4ERR_RETRY_UNCACHED_REP
    NFSv4.1: remove pnfs_layout_hdr from pnfs_destroy_all_layouts tmp_list

    Andy Lutomirski (2):
    drm/i915: Revert i915.semaphore=1 default from i915 merge
    drm/i915: Revert i915.semaphore=1 default from 47ae63e0

    Anton Blanchard (1):
    ehea: Fix memory hotplug oops

    Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (2):
    perf tools: Honour the cpu list parameter when also monitoring a
    thread list
    perf evlist: Fix per thread mmap setup

    Arnd Bergmann (1):
    ARM: 6892/1: handle ptrace requests to change PC during
    interrupted system calls

    Avinash H.M (1):
    OMAP3: set the core dpll clk rate in its set_rate function

    Axel Lin (2):
    mfd: Fix asic3 build error
    drivers/leds/leds-lm3530.c: add MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE

    Ben Dooks (1):
    drivers/rtc/rtc-s3c.c: fixup wake support for rtc

    Ben Hutchings (3):
    ipheth: Properly distinguish length and alignment in URBs and skbs
    sfc: Always map MCDI shared memory as uncacheable
    sfc: Fix oops in register dump after mapping change

    Borislav Petkov (2):
    Revert "x86, AMD: Fix APIC timer erratum 400 affecting K8
    Rev.A-E processors"
    x86, AMD: Fix ARAT feature setting again

    Bruno Prémont (1):
    Further fbcon sanity checking

    Catalin Marinas (2):
    MIPS: Rename .data..mostly and properly handle it in linker script
    ARM: 6870/1: The mandatory barrier rmb() must be a dsb() in for
    device accesses

    Chris Ball (1):
    Revert "mmc: fix a race between card-detect rescan and
    clock-gate work instances"

    Chris Wilson (1):
    drm: Take lock around probes for drm_fb_helper_hotplug_event

    Christian Borntraeger (1):
    [S390] disassembler: handle b280/spp instruction

    Cliff Wickman (1):
    x86: Fix UV BAU for non-consecutive nasids

    Dan Rosenberg (1):
    dccp: handle invalid feature options length

    Dan Williams (1):
    net/usb: mark LG VL600 LTE modem ethernet interface as WWAN

    Daniel J Blueman (1):
    Prevent oopsing in posix_acl_valid()

    Dave Airlie (2):
    drm/radeon: fix cayman struct accessors.
    drm/radeon/nouveau: fix build regression on alpha due to Xen changes.

    Dave Chinner (5):
    xfs: ensure reclaim cursor is reset correctly at end of AG
    xfs: exit AIL push work correctly when AIL is empty
    xfs: always push the AIL to the target
    xfs: make AIL target updates and compares 32bit safe.
    xfs: fix race condition in AIL push trigger

    David Daney (4):
    MIPS: Mask jump target in ftrace_dyn_arch_init_insns().
    MIPS: Octeon: Cleanup Kconfig IRQ_CPU* symbols.
    MIPS: Octeon: Guard the Kconfig body with CPU_CAVIUM_OCTEON
    MIPS: Invalidate old TLB mappings when updating huge page PTEs.

    David Rientjes (1):
    slub: Revert "[PARISC] slub: fix panic with DISCONTIGMEM"

    Eric Dumazet (4):
    net: ip_expire() must revalidate route
    netfilter: fix ebtables compat support
    vlan: fix GVRP at dismantle time
    net: dev_close() should check IFF_UP

    Eric Paris (1):
    SELinux: delete debugging printks from filename_trans rule processing

    Fernando Luis Vazquez Cao (2):
    netfilter: IPv6: initialize TOS field in REJECT target module
    netfilter: IPv6: fix DSCP mangle code

    Florian Fainelli (1):
    MIPS: AR7: Fix GPIO register size for Titan variant.

    Florian Mickler (1):
    vga_switcheroo: don't toggle-switch devices

    Florian Westphal (1):
    netfilter: ebtables: only call xt_compat_add_offset once per rule

    Geert Uytterhoeven (3):
    zorro8390: Fix regression caused during net_device_ops conversion
    hydra: Fix regression caused during net_device_ops conversion
    ne-h8300: Fix regression caused during net_device_ops conversion

    Grant Likely (1):
    drivercore: revert addition of of_match to struct device

    Hans Schillstrom (3):
    IPVS: Change of socket usage to enable name space exit.
    IPVS: init and cleanup restructuring
    IPVS: fix netns if reading ip_vs_* procfs entries

    Hans Verkuil (1):
    [media] v4l2-subdev: fix broken subdev control enumeration

    Harry Wei (1):
    MAINTAINERS: fix sorting

    Heiko Carstens (1):
    [S390] sclp/memory hotplug: fix initial usecount of increments

    Henry C Chang (3):
    ceph: print debug message before put mds session
    ceph: fix list_add in ceph_put_snap_realm
    ceph: do not use i_wrbuffer_ref as refcount for Fb cap

    Hugh Dickins (4):
    tmpfs: fix race between umount and writepage
    tmpfs: fix race between umount and swapoff
    tmpfs: fix spurious ENOSPC when racing with unswap
    tmpfs: fix race between swapoff and writepage

    Ingo Molnar (1):
    vsprintf: Turn kptr_restrict off by default

    Jack Steiner (1):
    x86, UV: Fix NMI handler for UV platforms

    Jeff Layton (2):
    cifs: add fallback in is_path_accessible for old servers
    cifs: fix cifsConvertToUCS() for the mapchars case

    Jens Axboe (1):
    scsi: remove performance regression due to async queue run

    Jiri Olsa (1):
    kprobes, x86: Disable irqs during optimized callback

    Joel Becker (2):
    configfs: Don't try to d_delete() negative dentries.
    configfs: Fix race between configfs_readdir() and configfs_d_iput()

    John Stultz (9):
    clocksource: Install completely before selecting
    rtc: ds1286: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: m41t80: Initialize clientdata before registering device
    rtc: max8925: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: max8998: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: msm6242: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: pcap: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: rp5c01: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    alpha: convert to clocksource_register_hz

    Jonas Gorski (1):
    MIPS: bcm63xx: Fix header_crc comment in bcm963xx_tag.h

    Juergen Kilb (1):
    mfd: Fixed gpio polarity of omap-usb gpio USB-phy reset

    Julia Lawall (1):
    x86, mce, AMD: Fix leaving freed data in a list

    KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki (1):
    memcg: fix zone congestion

    Kleber Sacilotto de Souza (1):
    ehea: fix wrongly reported speed and port

    Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk (1):
    Revert "xen/mmu: Add workaround "x86-64, mm: Put early page table high""

    Kurt Van Dijck (1):
    can: fix SJA1000 dlc for RTR packets

    Lars-Peter Clausen (5):
    ASoC: JZ4740: Fix i2s shutdown
    ASoC: SSM2602: Properly annotate i2c probe and remove functions
    ASoC: SSM2602: Fix 'Mic Boost2' control
    ASoC: SSM2602: Fix reg_cache_size
    MIPS: JZ4740: Set one-shot feature flag for the clockevent

    Laurent Pinchart (2):
    [media] v4l: Release module if subdev registration fails
    omap: iommu: Return IRQ_HANDLED in fault handler when no fault occured

    Lawrence Rust (1):
    [media] Fix cx88 remote control input

    Lesly A M (1):
    mfd: Fix for the TWL4030 PM sleep/wakeup sequence

    Li Zefan (3):
    fs: remove FS_COW_FL
    Btrfs: fix FS_IOC_GETFLAGS ioctl
    Btrfs: fix FS_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctl

    Linus Torvalds (7):
    Revert "Bluetooth: fix shutdown on SCO sockets"
    fbcon: add lifetime refcount to opened frame buffers
    fbmem: make read/write/ioctl use the frame buffer at open time
    Revert "drm/i915: Only enable the plane after setting the fb
    base (pre-ILK)"
    vfs: micro-optimize acl_permission_check()
    fbmem: fix remove_conflicting_framebuffers races
    Linux 2.6.39

    Luciano Coelho (1):
    mac80211: don't start the dynamic ps timer if not associated

    M. Mohan Kumar (1):
    net/9p: Handle get_user_pages_fast return properly

    Manuel Lauss (1):
    MIPS: Alchemy: fix xxs1500 build error

    Marcus Meissner (1):
    ocfs2: Initialize data_ac (might be used uninitialized)

    Marek Belisko (1):
    ASoC: UDA134x: Remove POWER_OFF_ON_STANDBY define.

    Mark Brown (1):
    ASoC: Don't crash on PM operations

    Martin Schwidefsky (2):
    [S390] oprofile: fix min/max interval query checks
    [S390] fix alloc_pgste check in init_new_context

    Matvejchikov Ilya (1):
    NET: slip, fix ldisc->open retval

    Mel Gorman (1):
    mm: tracing: add missing GFP flags to tracing

    Michael Cree (1):
    alpha: Wire up syscalls new to 2.6.39

    Michael Holzheu (2):
    [S390] kernel: Initialize register 14 when starting new CPU
    [S390] replace diag10() with diag10_range() function

    Michał Mirosław (1):
    net: Change netdev_fix_features messages loglevel

    Miklos Szeredi (1):
    fuse: fix oops in revalidate when called with NULL nameidata

    Milton Miller (1):
    of: fix race when matching drivers

    Minchan Kim (1):
    mm: check PageUnevictable in lru_deactivate_fn()

    Ming Lei (1):
    usbnet: runtime pm: fix out of memory

    Mohammed Shafi Shajakhan (1):
    ath9k: Fix a warning due to a queued work during S3 state

    Nicolas Pitre (3):
    ARM: zImage: make sure the stack is 64-bit aligned
    ARM: zImage: make sure not to relocate on top of the relocation code
    ARM: zImage: the page table memory must be considered before relocation

    Oliver Hartkopp (1):
    slcan: fix ldisc->open retval

    Pablo Neira Ayuso (2):
    netfilter: ctnetlink: fix timestamp support for new conntracks
    netfilter: revert a2361c8735e07322023aedc36e4938b35af31eb0

    Paul Fox (1):
    libertas: fix cmdpendingq locking

    Pedro Scarapicchia Junior (1):
    net/9p/protocol.c: Fix a memory leak

    Rafael J. Wysocki (3):
    PM: Fix warning in pm_restrict_gfp_mask() during SNAPSHOT_S2RAM ioctl
    PM / Hibernate: Make snapshot_release() restore GFP mask
    PM / Hibernate: Fix ioctl SNAPSHOT_S2RAM

    Ralf Baechle (21):
    MIPS: c-r4k: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: tlbex: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: IP22: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: IP22: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: Malta: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: Malta: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: SNI: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: Jazz: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error
    MIPS: Loongson: Fix GCC 2.6.0 build error.
    MIPS: MSP: Fix build error
    MIPS: IP27: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
    MIPS: IP27: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
    MIPS: Document former use of timerfd(2) syscall number.
    MIPS: Alchemy: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
    MIPS: Fix calc_vmlinuz_load_addr build warnings.
    MIPS: Audit: Fix success success argument pass to audit_syscall_exit
    MIPS: JZ4740: Fix GCC 4.6.0 build error.
    MIPS: JZ4740: Export symbols to the watchdog driver module
    MIPS: RB532: Fix iomap resource size miscalculation.
    MIPS: Fix duplicate invocation of notify_die.
    MIPS: Kludge IP27 build for 2.6.39.

    Randy Dunlap (2):
    mm: fix kernel-doc warning in page_alloc.c
    procfs: add stub for proc_mkdir_mode()

    Richard Weinberger (1):
    um: fix abort

    Roland Dreier (1):
    vmxnet3: Consistently disable irqs when taking adapter->cmd_lock

    Russell King (2):
    ARM: RiscPC: etherh: fix section mismatches
    ARM: RiscPC: acornfb: fix section mismatches

    Ryusuke Konishi (1):
    nilfs2: fix infinite loop in nilfs_palloc_freev function

    Sage Weil (1):
    rbd: fix leak of ops struct

    Sam Ravnborg (2):
    sparc32: fix section mismatch warnings in apc, pmc and time_32
    sparc32: fix sparcstation 5 boot

    Sedat Dilek (1):
    x86/mm: Fix section mismatch derived from native_pagetable_reserve()

    Serge E. Hallyn (1):
    Cache user_ns in struct cred

    Sergio Aguirre (1):
    [media] V4L: soc-camera: regression fix: calculate .sizeimage in
    soc_camera.c

    Shaohua Li (1):
    block: don't delay blk_run_queue_async

    Somnath Kotur (1):
    be2net: Fixed bugs related to PVID.

    Stanislaw Gruszka (1):
    iwlegacy: fix IBSS mode crashes

    Stefan Haberland (1):
    [S390] dasd: prevent IO error during reserve/release loop

    Stefano Stabellini (1):
    x86,xen: introduce x86_init.mapping.pagetable_reserve

    Steffen Klassert (2):
    xfrm: Assign the inner mode output function to the dst entry
    xfrm: Don't allow esn with disabled anti replay detection

    Steinar H. Gunderson (1):
    ipv6: restore correct ECN handling on TCP xmit

    Stephen Hemminger (2):
    bridge: fix forwarding of IPv6
    bridge: fix forwarding of IPv6

    Stephen Warren (1):
    ASoC: WM8903: Fix Digital Capture Volume range

    Sunil Mushran (5):
    ocfs2/dlm: Use negotiated o2dlm protocol version
    ocfs2/cluster: Increase the live threshold for global heartbeat
    ocfs2/cluster: Heartbeat mismatch message improved
    ocfs2: Skip mount recovery for hard-ro mounts
    ocfs2/dlm: Target node death during resource migration leads to
    thread spin

    Tejun Heo (5):
    block: unexport DISK_EVENT_MEDIA_CHANGE for legacy/fringe drivers
    cdrom: always check_disk_change() on open
    block: rescan partitions on invalidated devices on -ENOMEDIA too
    Revert "libata: ahci_start_engine compliant to AHCI spec"
    libata: fix oops when LPM is used with PMP

    Thomas Gleixner (1):
    tick: Clear broadcast active bit when switching to oneshot

    Thomas Jarosch (1):
    vmxnet3: Fix inconsistent LRO state after initialization

    Tkhai Kirill (1):
    sparc32: Fixed unaligned memory copying in function
    __csum_partial_copy_sparc_generic

    Tomoya (1):
    pch_gbe: support ML7223 IOH

    Tony Lindgren (1):
    ARM: zImage: Fix bad SP address after relocating kernel

    Toshiharu Okada (2):
    PCH_GbE : Fixed the issue of collision detection
    PCH_GbE : Fixed the issue of checksum judgment

    Tristan Ye (1):
    ocfs2: skip existing hole when removing the last extent_rec in
    punching-hole codes.

    Trond Myklebust (1):
    NFSv4.1: Ensure that layoutget uses the correct gfp modes

    Uwe Kleine-König (1):
    rtc: mc13xxx: Don't call rtc_device_register while holding lock

    Vitalii Demianets (1):
    bonding,llc: Fix structure sizeof incompatibility for some PDUs

    Vivek Goyal (1):
    blk-throttle: Use task_subsys_state() to determine a task's blkio_cgroup

    Will Deacon (1):
    ARM: 6890/1: memmap: only free allocated memmap entries when
    using SPARSEMEM

    Wolfram Sang (4):
    rtc: mxc: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: davinci: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    rtc: ep93xx: Initialize drvdata before registering device
    i2c: pnx: Fix crash due to wrong init of timer->data

    Wu Zhangjin (1):
    MIPS: Hibernation: Fixes for PAGE_SIZE >= 64kb

    Yehuda Sadeh (1):
    rbd: fix split bio handling

    Yinghai Lu (2):
    mm: use alloc_bootmem_node_nopanic() on really needed path
    PCI: Clear bridge resource flags if requested size is 0

    Yoichi Yuasa (1):
    MIPS: MSP71xx: Fix typo in msp_per_irq_controller

    Youquan Song (1):
    x86, apic: Fix spurious error interrupts triggering on all non-boot APs

    liubo (1):
    Btrfs: fix easily get into ENOSPC in mixed case

    stephen hemminger (1):
    tcp_cubic: limit delayed_ack ratio to prevent divide error

    xingchao (1):
    ASoC: sst_platform: add hw_free callback to fix resource leak