SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool
On 04/03/2011 11:51 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Anthony Liguori<anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:
> >> The goal of this tool is to provide a clean, from-scratch, lightweight
> >> KVM host tool implementation that can boot Linux guest images (just a
> >> hobby, won't be big and professional like QEMU) with no BIOS
> >> dependencies and with only the minimal amount of legacy device
> >> emulation.
> >
> > I see you do provide 16-bit entry points for Linux. Are you planning on
> > paravirtualizing this within Linux to truly eliminate the BIOS dependency?
>
> No, we aren't planning that at the moment. We're trying to support
> out-of-the-box distro kernels when possible which is why we went for
> E820 emulation in the first place. The only hard requirement for
> bootung userspace is CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK but otherwise kernel binaries
> should just work.
>
> Furthermore, as the BIOS glue is really really small, I'm not sure if
> we need to get rid of it completely. Do you have some scenario in mind
> where paravirt solution would help?

It would be a easier to support the bios than implement everything it
provides in a different way. SMP support, cpu hotplug, device hotplug,
NUMA, and probably other features all rely on the bios.

  Last update: 2011-04-03 11:19    [W:0.091 / U:0.516 seconds]