SubjectRe: [RFC 1/2 -tip/master] x86, x2apic: minimize IPI register writes using cluster groups
From
On 2/15/11, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Pretty nice!
>> >
>> >I have a few structural and nitpicking comments:
>>
>> Thanks a lot for review, Ingo! I'll address all the nits during this week.

>> >Such a BUG_ON() is not particularly user friendly - and this could
>> > trigger during
>> >CPU hotplug events, i.e. while the system is fully booted up, right?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> > Ingo
>>
>> Yup is not that much friendly but it's called during system bootup,
>> hotplug events are handled by
>>
>> +static int __cpuinit
>> +cluster_setup(struct notifier_block *nfb, unsigned long action, void
>> *hcpu)
>> +{
>> + unsigned int cpu = (unsigned long)hcpu;
>> + int err = 0;
>> +
>> + switch (action) {
>> + case CPU_UP_PREPARE:
>> + zalloc_cpumask_var(&per_cpu(cpus_in_cluster, cpu), GFP_KERNEL);
>> + zalloc_cpumask_var(&per_cpu(ipi_mask, cpu), GFP_KERNEL);
>> + if (!per_cpu(cpus_in_cluster, cpu) || !per_cpu(ipi_mask, cpu)) {
>> + free_cpumask_var(per_cpu(cpus_in_cluster, cpu));
>> + free_cpumask_var(per_cpu(ipi_mask, cpu));
>> + err = -ENOMEM;
>> + }
>> + break;
>>
>> so it returns -ENOMEM if failed. And btw just noted that we forgot to make
>> x2apic_init_cpu_notifier being in __init section.
>>
>> Or I miss something?
>
> Is there no GFP_NOFAIL or GFP_FAIL_ON_PANIC variant that could be used the
> 'must not
> fail' property of the boot-time allocation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ingo

If only i'm not missing something obvious we can set GFP_NOFAIL ending
in endless loop if allocation failed (slab should be already running
at this point of boot). Probably another option might be to switch to
no-apic mode if there is no enough memory to allocate this masks
(though i guess if allocation failed at this point we likely to fail
in further allocations in kernel anyway)

  Last update: 2011-02-15 09:41    [W:0.941 / U:0.092 seconds]