    Subject[ANNOUNCE] Xen port to Cortex-A15 / ARMv7 with virt extensions
    Hi all,
    a few weeks ago I (and a few others) started hacking on a
    proof-of-concept hypervisor port to Cortex-A15 which uses and requires
    ARMv7 virtualization extensions. The intention of this work was to find
    out how to best support ARM v7+ on Xen. See
    for more details.

    I am pleased to announce that significant progress has been made, and
    that we now have a nascent Xen port for Cortex-A15. The port is based on
    xen-unstable (HG CS 8d6edc3d26d2) and written from scratch exploiting
    the latest virtualization, LPAE, GIC and generic timer support in

    We started the work less than three months ago, but the port is already
    capable of booting a Linux 3.0 based virtual machine (dom0) up to a
    shell prompt on an ARM Architecture Envelope Model, configured to emulate
    an A15-based Versatile Express. In this context, we wanted to thank ARM
    for making the model available to us.
    Now we are looking forward to porting the tools and running multiple

    The code requires virtualization, LPAE and GIC support and therefore it
    won't be able to run on anything older than a Cortex-A15.
    On the other hand, thanks to this, it is very small and easy to read,
    write and understand.
    The implementation does not distinguish between PV and HVM guests: there
    is just one type of guests that would be comparable to Linux PV on HVM
    in the Xen X86 world, but with no need for Qemu emulation.
    The code only requires minimal changes to the Linux kernel: just enough
    to support PV drivers.

    Even though we are currently targeting Versatile Express and Cortex-A15
    we do intend to support other machines and other ARMv7 with
    virtualization extensions CPUs.
    We are also looking forward to ARMv8 and 64 bits support.

    Given that porting Xen to Cortex-A15 could be done with so little code,
    we believe that the best course of action is to merge it into
    xen-unstable as quickly as possible. There are still few rough edges to
    sort out but we should be able to produce a clean and digestible patch
    series for submission to xen-devel within the next couple of months. I
    hope to see the first patches going to the list as soon as possible.
    We would very welcome any contributions, in the form of testing, code
    reviews and, of course, patches!

    A git tree is available here:

    git:// arm

    the gitweb url is the following:;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/arm

    And here is the full diff:

    We want to point out that this effort is in addition to Samsung's
    ongoing efforts to upstream Xen ARM to xen-unstable. Samsung's XenARM
    port allows virtualization of Xen on ARM CPUs prior to virtualization
    extensions and supports traditional PV guests.

    I would like to thank Tim Deegan and Ian Campbell: if you spend some
    time reading the history, you'll see that this project wouldn't have
    been possible in such a short time without great contributions from

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-11-29 15:57    [W:0.022 / U:16.908 seconds]