    SubjectRe: Oops while going into hibernate

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > That looks really bogus. /usr/bin/killall is a system binary, and there's
    > no good reason that hibernation should be trying to write pages to that
    > binary.
    >
    > You said originally that the oops was happening "while going into
    > hibernation right after resuming with...". So that means you did a
    > successful suspend/resume, and then the second suspend caused the oops?
    Yes. I basically did a
    echo reboot > /sys/power/disk
    for i in {1..5} ;do echo disk > /sys/power/state ;done
    and it crashed very early in the second suspend.

    > It looks like somehow the pages were left marked as dirty, so the
    > writeback daemons attempted writing back a page to an inode which was
    > never opened read/write (and in fact as a text page for
    > /usr/bin/killall, was mapped read/only).
    > Given that ext4 initializes jinode only when the file is opened
    > read/write, the fact that it is null, and the fact that it makes no
    > sense that a program would be modifying /usr/bin/killall as part of a
    > suspend/resume, it looks very much like we just unmasked a software
    > suspend bug....
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation!

    Regards,
    Sebastian

      Last update: 2011-01-13 12:51    [W:0.033 / U:0.008 seconds]