SubjectRe: Oops while going into hibernate
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 07:44:17PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:

> You said originally that the oops was happening "while going into
> hibernation right after resuming with...". So that means you did a
> successful suspend/resume, and then the second suspend caused the
> oops? It looks like somehow the pages were left marked as dirty, so
> the writeback daemons attempted writing back a page to an inode
> which was never opened read/write (and in fact as a text page for
> /usr/bin/killall, was mapped read/only). Given that ext4
> initializes jinode only when the file is opened read/write, the fact
> that it is null, and the fact that it makes no sense that a program
> would be modifying /usr/bin/killall as part of a suspend/resume, it
> looks very much like we just unmasked a software suspend bug....

... and I think I've found the problem. In kernel/power/block_io.c,
in the function submit(), we see this:

if (bio_chain == NULL) {
submit_bio(bio_rw, bio);
wait_on_page_locked(page);
if (rw == READ)
bio_set_pages_dirty(bio); <====
bio_put(bio);

So when we read in pages from the software suspend device, we end up
marking the pages as dirty(!). I'm guessing this was caused by a copy
and paste from the only other caller of bio_set_pages_dirty(), which
is the direct I/O code, which needs this when we are writing from a
file into a user-provided buffer. But for restoring from a software
suspend case, this is as far as I can tell wholely inappropriate.

This causes needless writes, which is bad even before ext4 unmasked
the problem. I will send a patch under separate cover; could you give
it a try and see if it fixes your crash?

I will look into bulletproofing ext4 by adding checks for this case
and printing warning messages, but neverthe less, I think the root
cause is actually in the hibernation's bio code.

- Ted

  Last update: 2011-01-13 06:59    [W:0.102 / U:0.796 seconds]