Subjectshould struct device.dma_mask still be a pointer?

IMHO it's strange that struct device.dma_mask is a pointer instead of a
plain u64. The reason this was done back then is described in

Attached is a patch which moves dma_mask into struct device and cleans up the
scsi mid-layer to use it (instead of using struct pci_dev). The advantage to
doing this is probably most apparent on non-pci bus architectures where
currently you have to construct a fake pci_dev just so you can get the bounce
buffers to work correctly.

The patch tries to perturb the minimum amount of code, so dma_mask in struct
device is simply a pointer to the one in pci_dev. However, it will make it
easy for me now to add generic device to MCA without having to go the fake pci

As I work on such a non-pci bus architecture it's still ugly that this
is a pointer because I have to allocate extra memory for that.

Is there a reason not to get rid of struct pci_dev.dma_mask and use
struct instead? (Well apart from the needed
effort of course.)

If not, the following would be needed:

- remove struct pci.dma_mask
- make struct device.dma_mask an u64 (instead of u64*)
- substitue var.dma_mask by for all
struct pci_dev var
- substitue var.dma_mask by &(var.dma_mask) for all
struct device var

and note that there are statically initialized struct device (and maybe
struct pci_dev?) that need fixing, too. (e.g.;a=blob;f=arch/arm/mach-mx2/devices.c;h=a0aeb8a4adc19ef419a0a045ad3b882131597106;hb=HEAD#l265

Additionally this could be done for struct device.dma_parms.

Julia: help!

Best regards

[1] as this is pre-2.6.12 it's only available in tglx' histroy tree,

Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |
Industrial Linux Solutions | |