    SubjectRe: Poor interactive performance with I/O loads with fsync()ing
    On Sunday 11 April 2010, 23:54:34 Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > > XFS does not do much better. Just moved my VM images back to ext for
    > > > that reason.
    > >
    > > Did you move from XFS to ext3? ext3 defaults to barriers off, XFS on,
    > > which can make a big difference depending on the disk. You can
    > > disable them on XFS too of course, with the known drawbacks.
    > >
    > > XFS also typically needs some tuning to get reasonable log sizes.
    > >
    > > My point was merely (before people chime in with counter examples)
    > > that XFS/btrfs/jfs don't suffer from the "need to sync all transactions
    > > for every fsync" issue. There can (and will be) still other issues.
    > Yes, I moved them back from XFS to ext3 simply because moving them
    > from ext3 to XFS turned out to be a completely unusable disaster.
    > I know that I can tweak knobs on XFS (or any other file system), but I
    > would not have expected that it sucks that much for KVM with the
    > default settings which are perfectly fine for the other use cases
    > which made us move to XFS.

    Thomas, what Andi was merely turning out, is that xfs has a really
    concerning different default: barriers, that hurts with fsync().

    In order to make a fair comparison of the two, you may want to mount xfs
    with nobarrier or ext3 with barrier option set, and _then_ check which one
    is sucking less.

    I guess, that outcome will be interesting for quite a bunch of people in the
    audience (including me¹).

    ¹) while in transition of getting rid of even suckier technology junk like
    VMware-Server - but digging out a current², but _stable_ kernel release
    seems harder then ever nowadays.
    ²) with operational VT-d support for kvm

      Last update: 2010-04-12 01:47    [W:0.021 / U:2.280 seconds]