SubjectRe: Poor interactive performance with I/O loads with fsync()ing
> XFS does not do much better. Just moved my VM images back to ext for
> that reason.

Did you move from XFS to ext3? ext3 defaults to barriers off, XFS on,
which can make a big difference depending on the disk. You can
disable them on XFS too of course, with the known drawbacks.

XFS also typically needs some tuning to get reasonable log sizes.

My point was merely (before people chime in with counter examples)
that XFS/btrfs/jfs don't suffer from the "need to sync all transactions for
every fsync" issue. There can (and will be) still other issues.

-Andi

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans