    SubjectRe: [REGRESSION] Suspend fails because of TPM modules
    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Rajiv Andrade wrote:

    > > > on my thinkpad x200s (and I have seen reports on different HW as well),
    > > > suspend fails when TPM modules are loaded.
    > > >
    > > > tpm_tis 00:0a: tpm_transmit: tpm_send: error -5
    > > > legacy_suspend(): pnp_bus_suspend+0x0/0xa0 returns -5
    > > > PM: Device 00:0a failed to suspend: error -5
    > > > PM: Some devices failed to suspend
    > > >
    > > > Once tpm, tpm_bios, tpm_tis and tpm modules are unloaded, suspend/resume
    > > > works.
    > > >
    > > > This is a regression. It definitely worked on this very same hardware on
    > > > 2.6.34. Any kernel between .34 and .37 wasn't booted there, so I don't
    > > > have any data of that kind.
    > > >
    > > > I can try bisecting it, but if anyone sees immediately what the culprit
    > > > might be, that'd be helpful.
    > > I just found out, that if I modprobe tpm_tis module with
    > >
    > > itpm=1
    > >
    > > parameter, the problem doesn't happen any more and suspend works fine.
    > >
    > > This definitely wasn't needed on older kernels though, so I'd consider
    > > that still a regression.
    > >
    > > Also, can't we make the module automatically detect the machines on which
    > > to apply the workaround? Let's say, based on DMI?
    > >
    > There's a patch already submitted that solves this:
    > http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=128769741101534&w=2
    > <http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=128769741101534&w=2>
    >
    > This side effect (to solve the suspend issue) should increase its urgency I
    > think.
    > James, any thoughts?

    Yeah, Matthew has already pointed me to that patch, thanks. I will be
    testing it shortly and providing my Tested-by: eventually.

    Any ideas why other kernels were OK (.34) and didn't require this quirk on
    my machine at all?

    --
    Jiri Kosina
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2010-11-29 16:29    [W:0.027 / U:33.348 seconds]