    SubjectRe: rfc: rewrite commit subject line for subsystem maintainer preference tool
    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:51:17 -0800
    Joe Perches <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 10:49 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
    > > > Sadly, no it's not the right place.
    > > To query MAINTAINERS? I'd assume that's where you'd want to put that
    > > stuff?
    > I trimmed cc's and added Andrew Morton and Florian Mickler.
    > First thread link for them:
    > I use get_maintainer to find email addresses with
    > "git send-email --cc-cmd=" but sure it could be extended
    > to find some other new information in the MAINTAINERS file.
    > Anyway, I think that get_maintainers isn't the proper tool
    > to rewrite commit subject lines, though it could certainly
    > do the lookup of a key in the MAINTAINERS file.
    > Maybe add a new MAINTAINERS section line something like:
    > "C: CommitSubjectGrammarStyle"
    > where CommitSubjectGrammarStyle is something more
    > information rich than "style 1", "style 2".
    > Perhaps you'll propose a grammar to convert path to header
    > and go through and add these "C:" style entries to the
    > sections you maintain.
    > Also, what would you expect the output to be when a single
    > patch modified files from 2 subsystems that use different
    > styles?
    > cheers, Joe

    My first reaction to this is, it's silly. Certainly a
    subsystem-maintainer is capable of hacking something together that
    suits his needs or may just use a good editor to get the job done.
    After all, he might want to edit the commit message anyway. Also he has
    to have his act together for all non-conforming submitters anyway,
    because shurely, telling people to re-edit their patches subject line
    is not what one would consider "welcoming to newbies", or whatever it
    is kernel subsystem maintainers have to be nowadays *g*...

    On second thought, if that facility existed, i think nobody would mind
    it either. So, why not. I don't see a way to specify what to do with
    cross-subsystem patches though.

    (MAINTAINERS seems to be the logical place to put this

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-11-16 18:41    [W:0.024 / U:9.404 seconds]