Subjectrfc: rewrite commit subject line for subsystem maintainer preference tool
On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 10:49 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:52:53AM -0800, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 19:34 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > It appears your scripts are already hooked into get_maintainers.pl which
> > > would seem the obvious place to do this? Sadly I don't do perl, though
> > > it looks like you're doing pretty much all the work on that anyway.
> > Sadly, no it's not the right place.
> To query MAINTAINERS? I'd assume that's where you'd want to put that
> stuff?

I trimmed cc's and added Andrew Morton and Florian Mickler.
First thread link for them: http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/15/262

I use get_maintainer to find email addresses with
"git send-email --cc-cmd=" but sure it could be extended
to find some other new information in the MAINTAINERS file.

Anyway, I think that get_maintainers isn't the proper tool
to rewrite commit subject lines, though it could certainly
do the lookup of a key in the MAINTAINERS file.

Maybe add a new MAINTAINERS section line something like:
"C: CommitSubjectGrammarStyle"
where CommitSubjectGrammarStyle is something more
information rich than "style 1", "style 2".

Perhaps you'll propose a grammar to convert path to header
and go through and add these "C:" style entries to the
sections you maintain.

Also, what would you expect the output to be when a single
patch modified files from 2 subsystems that use different
styles?

cheers, Joe

  Last update: 2010-11-16 15:53    [W:0.222 / U:0.148 seconds]