SubjectRe: kgdb errors with serial console
Hi Jason,
I'm getting eclipse target time outs, I've attached link to the video here : http://drop.io/kgdbwe01

On Oct 8, 2010, at 3:44 AM, Jason Wessel wrote:

> Of course if you are willing to try something a bit more complex you can
> probably make use of being able to interactively break in with the
> eclipse gdb plugin, assuming your serial port is connected to a linux
> host, and it appeared that way based on your description.
>
> On your host you could set up the following:
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kgdb/agent-proxy.git
> cd agent-proxy
> make
> ./agent-proxy 4440^4441 0 /dev/ttyUSB0,115200 &
>
> telnet localhost 4440
>
> Now in your gdbinit file you replace the target remote with
>
> target remote localhost:4441
>
> The agent proxy should take care of sending the sysrq g for you, and the
> telnet window will provide you a look at the target console.

The agent-proxy suggestion was a lifesaver!! It makes it so much easier to debug the target board, and you can run it as a normal user when connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0.

I made the required changes to .gdbinit, and modified the Eclipse debugger settings to TCP/IP, with localhost and port 4441.

I also then go to the telnet terminal session, and then type

# echo g > /proc/sysrq-trigger
SysRq : DEBUG
Entering KGDB

and then launched eclipse debugger. It loads the vmlinux file, and a bunch of junk characters keep appearing continuously on the telnet session.

After about a minute or so, Eclipse terminates the session saying that it timed out. You can see this in the video. I edited the video, in between to trim off the long wait, with the characters scrolling in the terminal session, to the point where it crashes.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson

  Last update: 2010-10-08 12:45    [W:0.076 / U:0.440 seconds]