    SubjectRe: linux-arm-kernel useless for development (was Re: Your message to Linux-arm-kernel awaits moderator approval)
    On 08/06/2009 07:03 PM, Russell King wrote:
    > On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 06:02:10AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 13:40 +0100, Russell King wrote:
    >>> And no, moving the list outside the EU domain doesn't relieve any
    >>> of the lawful issues unless (as I understand the law) someone outside
    >>> the EU were to run the list. And people would have to independently
    >>> subscribe to it - I wouldn't be able to export the existing subscriber
    >>> list outside the EU.
    >> I suspect a vger based ARM list would not require you to "run" it.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you overestimate the value of the arm subscriber database
    >> as well as the work involved to subscribe to a list.
    >>
    >> Adding a "click this to subscribe to the new list" to the mailing
    >> list trailer would work reasonably well.
    >
    > There is already a vger based ARM list. I see no signs of people
    > moving over to it. I summise that is because most people don't
    > have a problem, and most people are happy with the existing lists
    > as they stand. Could it be that it's only a minority who are
    > having issues. I don't know.
    >
    > I also believe that majordomo is still stuck in the dark ages wrt
    > subscribing - having to have a carefully composed email message to
    > subscribe or unsubscribe. Having mailman's web interface took a
    > lot of work off of my shoulders when we moved the ARM lists off
    > of vger.rutgers.edu all those years back having to educate people
    > how to deal with majordomo.

    That may be true, but the key point here is that the majordomo list is open.
    Which means that say if I am an admin and I happen to notice a bug, I can send
    an email to lkml knowing that someone more knowledgeable will be able to pick it up.
    If on the other hand I have to subscribe to the list and then my mail has to be
    moderator approved (which might take a few days considering the moderator's
    workload), I'm more likely to just let it slip and hope that it gets fixed in
    the next release...

    > Let's not forget - as Pavel has yet again proven - if you have a
    > problem with a mailing list, who do you talk to. All the list
    > admins? Of course not! You email rmk and/or mailing lists
    > directly.
    >
    >>> Now, people here can tell me I'm wrong, but they aren't in the legal
    >>> profession... Would you get a gardener to fix your gas boiler, or
    >>> would you get a qualified and registered gas engineer in?
    >> Perhaps not using the gas boiler is another option.
    >
    > Maybe we should all go back to using coal fires then. Oops, we moved
    > away from that to cleaner burning gas because of the smog problems
    > caused by burning dirty fuels.

    Regards,
    David.

      Last update: 2009-08-06 15:53    [W:0.025 / U:148.184 seconds]