    SubjectRe: RFC: THE OFFLINE SCHEDULER
    On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > All I've seen is "I want 100% access to a CPU". That's not a problem
    > statement - it's an implementation.

    Maybe. But its a problem statement that I have seen in various industries.
    Multiple kernel hacks exist to do this in more or less contorted way. We
    already have Linux scheduler functionality that does partially what is
    needed.

    See the

    isolcpus

    kernel parameter. isolcpus does not switch off OS sources of noise
    but it takes the processor away from the scheduler. We need a harder form of
    isolation where the excluded processors offer no OS services at all.

    > What is the problem statement?

    My definition (likely not covering all that the author of this patchset
    wants):

    How to make a processor in a multicore system completely
    available to a process.

      Last update: 2009-08-26 23:11    [W:0.022 / U:0.060 seconds]