SubjectRe: Kernel 2.6.30rc7 limits IDE to UDMA33
Date
On Sun June 7 2009, Grozdan wrote:
> 2009/6/7 Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@gmail.com>:
> > Grozdan wrote:

> >> I've no idea how and where to do a git bisect so if someone is willing
> >> to explain in simple steps, I can try...
> >
> > Linus's post on here is a pretty simple explanation:
> >
> > http://kerneltrap.org/node/11753
> >

> Yes, it's clear to someone who's familiar with git but not to a noob
> like me. Where do I run this git? After it's finished what to do next?
> How many times do I have to compile kernels? Which kernels exactly?
> After booting a "bad" kernel, what then? etc... From reading the
> article, the guy has to compile 14!! times just to catch a problem
> between kernel 2.6.21 and 2.6.22.

The article presumes the simple case of a single commit being the
problem. If the problem involves more than one. . .

Think of doing a binary search in a list of values with duplicate
entries. ;)

> I guess in my case I'll have to
> compile a lot more than 14 times to catch something between kernel
> 2.6.27 and 2.6.30 and honestly I don't have time for this right now.

Yes, it can get to be time-consuming unless your lucky.

> However, I did a diff between the pata_via driver of kernel 2.6.27 and
> 2.6.30 and there have been changes to it but I'm not sure if they
> affect the cable detection...

That's a start. Now if you knew what you where looking for...
(No offense intended - "diff" doesn't place "here I am" markers.)

The machine I am doing my own tests on uses the pata_via driver and
it detects the udma66 disk drive as a udma33 - - -

But finding this is way down on my list of things to look for -
Someone else is welcome to beat me to it.

Mike