SubjectRe: [2.6.27.24] Kernel coredump to a pipe is failing
On 05/27, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > Actually, I think there is a strong reason to handle signals during
> > core dumping. The coredump can take a lot of time/resources, not good
> > it looks like unkillable procees to users.
>
> One problem with that is if you send a process a string of signals that cause
> a core dump and then kill. In the old case you would just get a full core dump
> on the first signal and be done. With your change it would process
> the second signal too and stop the dumping and you get none or a partial
> core dump. That might well break existing setups.

I don't think we should worry about this particular case. Suppose a user
does

kill(pid, SIGQUIT);
kill(pid, SIGKILL);

In this case, most likely the core dump will not start. Because SIGKILL
will set SIGNAL_GROUP_EXIT before the process dequeues SIGQUIT and start
do_coredump() which checks signal_group_exit() in zap_threads().

But yes, I agree, this change is user-visible and should be discussed.

Oleg.

  Last update: 2009-05-27 21:13    [W:0.093 / U:0.124 seconds]