    On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 07:30:02PM +1000, wrote:
    > The non-technical reasons for this patch are available to anyone who
    > cares to read any of the many news sites that discuss recent
    > events. The fact that I can't discuss those reasons shouldn't preclude
    > me from proposing a technical solution which tries to minimise the
    > impact on Linux users.

    Yes, the fact that you let someone else send a patch for you, refuse to
    state any reason for it and when asked for it talk around the problems
    is a very good reason not to bother with a patch.

    If you think there is a patent problem with long file names and have
    a good argument for it we should just make the reduce functionality
    the default until it's settled. If you do not have a good argument
    we should drop this completely.

    > I'm hoping that you and others will look at the proposed technical
    > solution to the non-technical problem, and perhaps suggest better
    > approaches. There are a wide variety of approaches to avoiding this
    > problem, and we need to work out which, if any, should be part of the
    > releases.

    Sorting out a problem starts with clearly stating what the problem is.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-05-02 14:47    [W:0.025 / U:3.028 seconds]