    SubjectRe: [TuxOnIce-devel] [RFC] TuxOnIce
    Hi.

    (Starting to catch up after a week away)

    On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 11:16 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > > Would you elaborate?
    > >
    > > One benefit is that we need not anything in the initrd for hibernation to work.
    > > Another one is that we can get superior performance, for obvious reasons
    > > (less copying of data, faster I/O). Yet another is simpler configuration and
    > > no need to maintain a separate set of user space tools. I probably could
    > > find more.
    > >
    > > > I would really hate to put progressbar painting into kernel; and if
    > > > that's in userspace, we can do compression/encryption there too as
    > > > well....
    > >
    > > That's correct, we can. But since we have LZO in the kernel now, we can use
    > > it for compression just as well, can't we?
    >
    > Yes, but we do not have progressbar painting in the kernel -- yet --
    > so users will still need initrd etc.

    Who does?

    > Yes, we can move LZO into kernel pretty cheaply, and it will have
    > minor benefit of slightly faster reguler swsusp, but...

    LZO is already in the kernel (a cryptoapi module). The result won't be
    slightly faster - it will be (assuming the CPU is fast enough) slightly
    better than double the speed, on average.

    Regards,

    Nigel

      Last update: 2009-05-17 01:13    [W:0.024 / U:150.700 seconds]