SubjectRe: The problems for driver module loading
On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 04:39:52PM +0800, fangxiaozhi 00110321 wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> I am sorry, I want to know is there the feature of priority (PRI) for
> kernel driver loading in Linux, such as in Windows or Mac OS.

No, Linux does not have that. It is really a "first driver
loaded/linked that wants to grab the driver, wins."

> I develop an independent ECM driver for our standard ECM ether device.
> And then I install it on some Linux system, such as OpenSUSE 11.0 or
> Fedora 10.

Why a separate driver? Why not just modify the existing one?

> But in these systems, they also have a built-in ECM driver
> cdc_ether.ko. So, while I plug in our device, then the system often
> attaches cdc_ether.ko driver for our device, but not attaching ours.
>
> Because cdc_ether.ko driver can not support our QMI protocol, so we
> want the Linux system can always attach our driver to our device, but
> not cdc_ether.ko driver.
>
> How can I do for this?

Add a blacklist entry in the cdc_ether driver.

Or, from userspace, unbind the device from cdc_ether and bind it to your
device. This can easily be done in userspace through sysfs using a
script triggered from udev.

Do you have a pointer to your driver anywhere?

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2009-04-09 16:59    [W:0.045 / U:1.108 seconds]