SubjectRe: Interrupts are being dropped under heavy IO on -rt .
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, jvrao wrote:

> Qlogic driver uses MSI-EDGE interrupts by default.
>
> On -rt kernel under heavy IO load we observed that the driver missed
> interrupts occasionally.
>
> Missing interrupts caused spurious mailbox timeouts and path failovers.
>
> Suspecting MSI interrupts, we disabled MSI and forcing the driver to use
> APIC interrupts (Patch attached).
>
> With this change, our IO tests ran for extended period of time without
> any issues.
>
> It would be interesting to see if the MSI infrastructure itself has
> issues on realtime, or it is the combination of qla2xxx/MSI.
>
> Right now we don't have any setup to test out MSI with other adapters.
> Hence, wondering if anyone faced similar issues.

Could you perhaps provide some details on hardware used within your
testing -- HBA type, storage, etc? Also, can you share any logs of
the failures with extended-error-logging enabled
(ql2xextended_error_logging)?

Regards,
Andrew Vasquez

  Last update: 2009-04-15 21:51    [W:0.062 / U:0.228 seconds]