SubjectRe: Interrupts are being dropped under heavy IO on -rt .
Andrew Vasquez wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, jvrao wrote:
>> Qlogic driver uses MSI-EDGE interrupts by default.
>> On -rt kernel under heavy IO load we observed that the driver missed
>> interrupts occasionally.
>> Missing interrupts caused spurious mailbox timeouts and path failovers.
>> Suspecting MSI interrupts, we disabled MSI and forcing the driver to use
>> APIC interrupts (Patch attached).
>> With this change, our IO tests ran for extended period of time without
>> any issues.
>> It would be interesting to see if the MSI infrastructure itself has
>> issues on realtime, or it is the combination of qla2xxx/MSI.
>> Right now we don't have any setup to test out MSI with other adapters.
>> Hence, wondering if anyone faced similar issues.
> Could you perhaps provide some details on hardware used within your
> testing -- HBA type, storage, etc? Also, can you share any logs of
> the failures with extended-error-logging enabled
> (ql2xextended_error_logging)?

Hi, the following link provides more information on the logs and our analysis.

[root@elm3c29 R2-SR1]# lspci | grep -i qlogic
03:05.0 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2422-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI-X HBA (rev 02)
03:05.1 Fibre Channel: QLogic Corp. ISP2422-based 4Gb Fibre Channel to PCI-X HBA (rev 02)

Storage is DS4700 (Product ID: 1814)

If you need more information, please let me know, I can generate more information/logs.
I will also find time to reproduce this with ql2xextended_error_logging enabled.