    SubjectRe: [RFC Patch] getrusage: fill ru_ixrss, ru_idrss and ru_isrss fields
    KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
    >> KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
    >>> The next three fields, the subject of this patch, are named ru_XXrss:
    >>> though the 80-column comment omits to say "resident set" before "size",
    >>> I believe they'd be expected to account (subdivided) resident set sizes?
    >>>

    >>> your calculation is not rss nor not integral.
    >>>
    >> Hmm, I misunderstood rss here. Does it mean the memory stayed in
    >> physical mem? i.e. not swapped out.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > Plus, 'integral' mean "tick * rss". but in dyntick environment, per tick statistics is not
    > so easy nor low cost.

    Thanks for explanation!

    >> So, if I want to get those rss statistics, I have to add some more
    >> mm_counter by myself? I only find file_rss and anon_rss in mm_struct.
    >
    > Hmm..
    > I doubt nobody use such statistics. if nobody explain real world usage, I oppose to add
    > new counter overhead.

    Well, this is one of the usages. :)

    I just checked more, I found it's not easy to add rss statistics for
    stack, executable, etc... the reason is that we don't have a page flag
    to mark a page as used for stack etc.

      Last update: 2009-12-08 10:35    [W:0.023 / U:2.088 seconds]