SubjectRe: workqueue thing
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Likewise, if there's a reduction in complexity, that is a tangible metric as
> well: lets do a few conversions as part of the patch-set and see how much
> simpler things have become as a result of it.

There are for example about 160 users of create_singlethread_workqueue
(about 140 of them in drivers/.). As has mentioned by others, many if
not most of them would be better served by either the existing slow-work
API or by the proposed worker thread pool. Conversion to the former
takes a bit more effort than the latter (not much, but it matters).

The little driver subsystem which I maintain extensively uses the shared
workqueue and also one single-thread workqueue. The facts that the
shared queue is used for several purposes and a single thread for some
are both just compromises which I would rather like to get rid of. I
should have converted the create_singlethread_workqueue usage to David
Howells' slow-work infrastructure immediately when that was merged, but
I didn't do so yet because there is too much else on my to-do list for
that particular to-do item...

> We really are not forced to the space of Gedankenexperiments here.

...to actually leave Gedankenexperiment stage as quickly as I would
like. Tejun's worker pool would make things easier for me.
--
Stefan Richter

  Last update: 2009-12-23 14:05    [W:0.110 / U:0.100 seconds]