SubjectRe: problems in linux-next (Was: Re: linux-next: Tree for December 1)
On 12/02/2009 11:55 PM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Tejun Heo wrote:
>
>> This isn't usual alignment. struct work_struct has one data fields
>> which is overloaded for two purposes. Lower few bits are used to
>> carry flags while upper bits are used to point to sruct
>> cpu_workqueue_struct. So, the number of available bits for flags are
>> determined by the alignment of cpu_workqueue_struct. Memory usage for
>
> The default mininum slab alignment in UP is 8 bytes which means you can
> use 3 bits. And as far as I can see only the lower two bits are used. You
> still have one bit leftover. (current upstream that is did not check if
> you modified it).

For colored workqueue flushing, it ends up using more than three bits.
I haven't decided it fully yet but total of six or seven depending on
how many colors are used. So, we need forced alignment anyway.

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2009-12-02 23:17    [W:0.080 / U:0.644 seconds]