    SubjectRe: problems in linux-next (Was: Re: linux-next: Tree for December 1)
    Hello,

    On 12/03/2009 07:24 AM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Tejun Heo wrote:
    >
    >> For colored workqueue flushing, it ends up using more than three bits.
    >> I haven't decided it fully yet but total of six or seven depending on
    >> how many colors are used. So, we need forced alignment anyway.
    >
    > If it is that much then why not stick it into the structure?

    There'll only be a handful of cwqs but a lot of works. Adding a flags
    field to work_struct might not hurt too much but all the code to
    handle it is already there except for alignment on UP, so I'm a bit
    reluctant to enlarge work_struct just for it.

    > It only makes sense to use the flags in the address if you otherwise
    > do not touch the structure.

    work_struct isn't being changed at all. What gets aligned is
    cpu_workqueue_struct which allows more bits for flags in work_struct.

    Thanks.

    --
    tejun

      Last update: 2009-12-03 00:03    [W:0.039 / U:0.828 seconds]