SubjectRe: [this_cpu_xx V6 1/7] this_cpu_ops: page allocator conversion
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Tejun Heo wrote:

> > +static void setup_pageset(struct per_cpu_pageset *p, unsigned long batch);
> > +static DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct per_cpu_pageset, boot_pageset);
>
> This looks much better but I'm not sure whether it's safe. percpu
> offsets have not been set up before setup_per_cpu_areas() is complete
> on most archs but if all that's necessary is getting the page
> allocator up and running as soon as static per cpu areas and offsets
> are set up (which basically means as soon as cpu init is complete on
> ia64 and setup_per_cpu_areas() is complete on all other archs). This
> should be correct. Is this what you're expecting?

paging_init() is called after the per cpu areas have been initialized. So
I thought this would be safe. Tested it on x86.

zone_pcp_init() only sets up the per cpu pointers to the pagesets. That
works regardless of the boot stage. Then then build_all_zonelists()
initializes the actual contents of the per cpu variables.

Finally the per cpu pagesets are allocated from the percpu allocator when
all allocators are up and the pagesets are sized.

  Last update: 2009-10-08 18:35    [W:0.235 / U:0.168 seconds]