SubjectExt4 tree backports for 2.6.27.10 and 2.6.28

I've created a couple of ext4 backport branches which have been uploaded
to the ext4 git tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git

The master branch contains the latest ext4 patch queue, against Linus's
tip; currently, this is versus 2.6.29-rc2. The 'for_linus' tag is
located on this branch, and currently contains a number of urgent fixes
that I plan to be pushing to Linus after he gets back from
linux.conf.au. They are mostly fixes that prevent OOPS or cpu lockups
when ext4 mounts an intentionally corrupted filesystem.

The ext4-stable branch is based off of 2.6.28, and contains all of the
patches which were pushed to linus during the 2.6.29-rc1 merge window,
plus the fixes listed above in the 'master' branch. It is designed for
people who want the very latest in the ext4 tree versus a stable kernel.

The for-stable branch is currently based off of 2.6.28, and contains a
candidate set of patches to be included in the 2.6.28.y stable tree.
Ext4 developers --- I would appreciate it if you could review the
patches on the ext4-stable tree, and see if I missed any patches which
in your opinion should be pushed to the 2.6.28.y tree. Furthermore, if
some folks could test the for-stable branch and let me know whether or
not you found it stable, I would appreciate it. Some of the patches
were relatively painful to backport, given the desire to remove
"non-critical" patches, so I'm not 100% certain I got the backports
completely right. Please test!

The for-stable-2.6.27 is currently based off of 2.6.27.11, and it
contains a candidate set of patches to be incuded in the 2.6.27.y tree.
It was even more difficult to backport these patches to 2.6.27.y, and so
I would **really** appreciate if some folks could review and test this
branch. In addition, a number of changes (in particular some of
Aneesh's resize race condition patches) were painful enough that I
decided to abort and not try to do the backport. It was late, and I was
getting tired.... If someone would like to try to backport some of
these missing patches, I would appreciate it; Aneesh, you might have
better luck since they were originally your patches, and they were
complicated enough that I was worried that there might have been
prerequisites that I had missed so they would function correctly.

The patch backports can be summarized in this table below. It contains
the original mainline commit ID, the commit ID in the 2.6.28 for-stable
branch, and the commit ID in the for-stable-2.6.27 branch. If you see
"-----" in the column for the 2.6.27-stable column, those were patches
which I did not backport due to lack of valor/courage at 11pm at night.

- Ted

mainline 2.6.28 2.6.27
commit-description
f99b2589 485f02f 11599d0
ext4: Add support for non-native signed/unsigned htree hash algorithms

2a21e37e 7426272 8443aef
ext4: tone down ext4_da_writepages warnings

791b7f08 2efd58c c7eef47
ext4: Fix the delalloc writepages to allocate blocks at the right offset.

565a9617 ce99b0d b2a193d
ext4: avoid ext4_error when mounting a fs with a single bg

ff7ef329 3a04ef3 626e5b9
ext4: Widen type of ext4_sb_info.s_mb_maxs[]

fd98496f f97e641 dc270b3
jbd2: Add barrier not supported test to journal_wait_on_commit_record

032115fc b9475aa c1944c2
ext4: Don't overwrite allocation_context ac_status

e21675d4 c31a2b2 -----
ext4: Add blocks added during resize to bitmap

920313a7 2a4f6ca -----
ext4: Use EXT4_GROUP_INFO_NEED_INIT_BIT during resize

c3a326a6 66364e6 24a5c92
ext4: cleanup mballoc header files

7a2fcbf7 39a0b8b -----
ext4: don't use blocks freed but not yet committed in buddy cache init

e8134b27 83a082c c712c85
ext4: Fix race between read_block_bitmap() and mark_diskspace_used()

39341867 8e53df4 4d3302c
ext4: Fix the race between read_inode_bitmap() and ext4_new_inode()

e97fcd95 20d6100 7e081e8
jbd2: Add BH_JBDPrivateStart

2ccb5fb9 92f1c0e -----
ext4: Use new buffer_head flag to check uninit group bitmaps initialization

648f5879 51eef9f 469a48a
ext4: mark the blocks/inode bitmap beyond end of group as used

8556e8f3 5a2c7ad 686beef
ext4: Don't allow new groups to be added during block allocation

29eaf024 39d994e 0c56383
ext4: Init the complete page while building buddy cache

0087d9fb 808dfdb -----
ext4: Fix s_dirty_blocks_counter if block allocation failed with nodelalloc

4ec11028 cf7da20 -----
ext4: Add sanity checks for the superblock before mounting the filesystem

  Last update: 2009-01-17 19:47    [W:0.078 / U:0.256 seconds]