SubjectRe: [Patch] Tracing/ftrace: Adds a marker to allow user comments
Steven,

is there a logic behind trace_seq_print_cont() printing the terminating
newline only, when there actually is no TRACE_CONT entry?

Hmm, wait a minute, I don't understand how this thing works at all.

Let's take for instance print_lat_fmt() which is the first user of
trace_seq_print_cont(). Now, print_lat_fmt() does

struct trace_entry *entry = iter->ent;

and uses 'entry'. Let's assume it is of type TRACE_PRINT. It does

case TRACE_PRINT:
seq_print_ip_sym(s, field->print.ip, sym_flags);
trace_seq_printf(s, ": %s", field->print.buf);
if (field->flags & TRACE_FLAG_CONT)
trace_seq_print_cont(s, iter);
break;

Ok, it prints the beginning of the message, and if there should be
continuation blocks, it calls trace_seq_print_cont(), defined as
follows:

static void
trace_seq_print_cont(struct trace_seq *s, struct trace_iterator *iter)
{
struct trace_array *tr = iter->tr;
struct trace_array_cpu *data = tr->data[iter->cpu];
struct trace_entry *ent;

ent = trace_entry_idx(tr, data, iter, iter->cpu);
if (!ent || ent->type != TRACE_CONT) {
trace_seq_putc(s, '\n');
return;
}

do {
trace_seq_printf(s, "%s", ent->cont.buf);
__trace_iterator_increment(iter, iter->cpu);
ent = trace_entry_idx(tr, data, iter, iter->cpu);
} while (ent && ent->type == TRACE_CONT);
}

Here it uses trace_entry_idx() to get 'ent'. What's the difference to
iter->ent? I don't understand how trace_entry_idx() works, but looking
at how it is used, it must return the pointer to the *next* entry in
the ring buffer. So I don't understand the name of the function, and I
don't see a call to __trace_iterator_increment(), which is confusing.

If contrary to the assumption, 'ent' is not a continuation, it prints
the terminating newline. This is an exceptional case, as the original
entry was marked as having continuation entries.

The normal case then is to execute the do-while, until it hits a
non-continuation entry. Here it does *not* print the terminating newline.

Steven, could you explain what is going on here?

Thanks.

--
Pekka Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/

  Last update: 2008-09-07 16:15    [W:0.128 / U:1.520 seconds]