SubjectRe: unprivileged mounts git tree
Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos@szeredi.hu):
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > > Are you going to revert the change forcing CL_SLAVE for
> > > !capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN)? I don't think we want that - I think that
> > > *within* a set of user mounts, propagation should be safe, right?
> > >
> > > Will you be able to do this soon? If not, should we just do the part
> > > returning -EPERM when turning a shared mount into a user mount?
> >
> > OK, let's do that first and the tricky part (propagation vs. user
> > mounts) later. Will push after I've tested it.
>
> Here it is:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git unprivileged-mounts
>
> I don't know what's next, this patchset has been in and out of -mm for
> as long as I can remember, but it hasn't generated much interest
> outside the two of us :)
>
> I do think this is an important feature though, even if not as sexy as
> some other things.
>
> Al? Is there any chance of this making it to 2.6.28?
>
> Thanks,
> Miklos

Ok I should take the time to properly add these to ltp, but for now here
is the result of 15-minutes of playing around with shell scripts to do
some basic testing.

Run usermounts_root.sh as root first, then usermounts_user as a user.
Cleanup for the usermounts_root.sh side-effects is not done.

Miklos, do you have better-thought-out or more complete testcases?

-serge

FILE usermounts_root.sh
#!/bin/sh
MMOUNTDIR=/usr/src/mmount-0.3
MOUNT=${MMOUNTDIR}/mmount
UMOUNT=${MMOUNTIDR}/ummount

mkdir -p /mnt/shared /mnt/slave /mnt/private
mkdir /mnt/shared/d /mnt/slave/d /mnt/private/d

touch /mnt/shared/a
touch /mnt/slave/b
touch /mnt/private/c

mount --bind /mnt/shared /mnt/shared
mount --make-rshared /mnt/shared
mount --bind /mnt/shared /mnt/slave
mount --make-rslave /mnt/slave

FILE usermounts_user.sh
#!/bin/sh
MMOUNTDIR=/usr/src/mmount-0.3
MOUNT=${MMOUNTDIR}/mmount
UMOUNT=${MMOUNTDIR}/ummount

mkdir t1

# user bind a root shared mount. Should fail -EPERM.

$MOUNT --bind /mnt/shared t1
rc=$?
if [ $rc -eq 0 ]; then
echo "FAIL: succeeded in user-binding a root-shared dir"
exit 1
fi
echo "PASS: first test passed (refused to user-bind a root-shared dir"

# user bind a root shared mount, then bind into there. Make sure
# that the two binds work, and the second is not propagated to the
# first

$MOUNT --bind /mnt/slave t1
$MOUNT --bind /mnt/private t1/d
if [ ! -f t1/d/c ]; then
echo "failed mounting private under slave/d"
exit 1
fi
if [ -f /mnt/slave/d/c ]; then
echo "user mount of private under slave/d was propagated to /mnt/slave!"
exit 1
fi
if [ -f /mnt/shared/d/c ]; then
echo "user mount of private under slave/d was propagated to /mnt/shared!"
exit 1
fi

ret=0
$UMOUNT t1/d || ret=1
$UMOUNT t1 || ret=1
if [ $ret -eq 1 ]; then
echo "user umount refused in second test"
exit 1
fi
if [ -f t1/a ]; then
echo "user umount failed in second test"
exit 1
fi

rmdir t1

echo "PASS: second test passed (user-mounts of root-slave and root-private dirs)"

# bind mount /etc/shadow. First make sure that we cannot read
# /etc/shadow and can read the target. Then make sure that we
# can no longer read the target after the bind mount.

cat /etc/shadow >> /dev/null
rc=$?
if [ $rc -eq 0 ]; then
echo "test 3: Oh no, I'm able to read /etc/shadow!"
exit 1
fi
echo ab > t1
cat t1 >> /dev/null
rc=$?
if [ $rc -ne 0 ]; then
echo "test 3: Odd, couldn't read my own file."
exit 1
fi
$MOUNT --bind /etc/shadow t1
cat t1 >> /dev/null
rc=$?
if [ $rc -eq 0 ]; then
echo "test 3: bind mount of /etc/shadow gave me read access!"
exit 1
fi
$UMOUNT t1
rm t1

echo "PASS: third test passed (user mount of file)"

echo "all tests succeeded"
exit 0

  Last update: 2008-09-05 17:35    [W:0.127 / U:0.088 seconds]