SubjectRe: mounting windows shares with path exactly like on windows
kovlensky@interia.pl wrote:

> I'm sorry to be slightly off topic, when it comes to this list, but I have
> no clue where to look for that and I think it can be doe on kernel level
> only.
>
> In short - I've got bunch of applications running both on windows and
> linux and these applications exchange links to files mounted on both
> sides. The problem is that these paths are different, i.e. like
> D:/dir/file on windows and /mountpoint/dir/file on Linux. What I need is
> unifying them. So my idea is to have path translator on anything on kernel
> level, which will make Linux open call to D:/dir/file on Linux work and
> open /mountpoint/dir/file. Was anything close to that ever incorporated in
> kernel?

Um, no.

More likely solutions are ptrace (intercept system calls using debugging
interface) or similar LD_PRELOAD magic (see fakeroot for an example).

> Applications are, as usual, closed source, and support for them, also as
> usual, answers "won't be fixed, switch to Windows, please". Very helpful.
>
> Any other ideas of solving this problem are also warmly welcomed. Also on
> windows side.

I thought modern windows supported unix-like mounts, a bit like the old
SUBST.EXE in dos. So you could then mount all other drive letters as
subdirectories on the main drive. Don't ask me how to do it though :-).

Alan

  Last update: 2008-08-29 10:07    [W:0.061 / U:0.276 seconds]