SubjectRe: Spinlocks: Factor our GENERIC_LOCKBREAK in order to avoid spin with irqs disable
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:51:12 -0700
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@goop.org> wrote:

> Thomas Friebel presented results at the Xen Summit this week showing
> that ticket locks are an absolute disaster for scalability in a virtual
> environment, for a similar reason. It's a bit irritating if the lock
> holder vcpu gets preempted by the hypervisor, but its much worse when
> they release the lock: unless the vcpu scheduler gives a cpu to the vcpu
> with the next ticket, it can waste up to N timeslices spinning.
>
> I'm experimenting with adding pvops hook to allow you to put in new
> spinlock implementations on the fly.

Alternatively, the guest could tell the host which vcpus
are next in line for a ticket spinlock, or a vcpu that gets
scheduled but is not supposed to grab the lock yet can give
some CPU time to the vcpu that should get the lock next.

I believe the IBM PPC64 people have done some work to implement
just that.

--
All Rights Reversed

  Last update: 2008-07-07 21:49    [W:0.209 / U:0.100 seconds]