SubjectRe: Spinlocks: Factor our GENERIC_LOCKBREAK in order to avoid spin with irqs disable
Nick Piggin wrote:
> Although, you wouldn't need to oversubscribe physical CPUs to hit
> suboptimal behaviour.
>
> Basically, I just ask for performance improvement to be measured
> with some "realistic" configuration, then it should be easier to
> justify.

Overcommitting cpus system-wide is pretty common. A use-case is
consolidating a pile of underused non-performance-critical servers into
one physical machine with a lot of VMs. It doesn't take much load to
cause a dhcp request to the dhcp server to steal a cpu away from the
mysql server while it holds a lock...

I'll mail out my patches so we can have a more concrete discussion shortly.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans