SubjectRe: [patch 2/3] kmsg: Kernel message catalog script.
> From: Michael Holzheu <holzheu@de.ibm.com>
> From: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@de.ibm.com>
>
> Add a script and the calls to the make process that allows to check the
> kmsg printk messages and to format man pages from the message descriptions.
>
> The kmsg message description is a comment with the following format:
>
> /*?
> * Tag: <component>.<id>
> * Text: "<kmsg message text>"
> * Severity: <severity>
> * Parameter:
> * @1: <description of the first message parameter>
> * @2: <description of the second message parameter>
> * ...
> * <What is the kmsg message all about>
> * User action:
> * <What can the user do to fix the problem>
> */
>
> The script looks for a kmsg comment for a kmsg printk at three places,
> the source file where the kmsg call is located, in the architecture
> dependent file Documentation/kmsg/$ARCH/<component> and in the common
> file Documentation/kmsg/<component>.
>
> The kmsg check is invoked with "make D=1" and reads the source files for
> all objects that are built by the current configuration and searches for
> matching kmsg descriptions for the kmsg messages in the source which
> have a messages id > 0. If a message description can not be found the
> script prints a blueprint and causes a make error.
>
> The kmsg man page creation is invoked with "make D=2" and reads the source
> files for all built objects, looks up the message description and writes
> a man page to $(objtree)/man.

I don't know message id numbering is good or bad.
but I like a check script/Makefile of printk format changing.
because many people(include me :) often forget printk/Documentation change.

Thanks

  Last update: 2008-07-31 08:49    [W:0.410 / U:0.284 seconds]