    SubjectRe: Please pull ACPI updates

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Hmm, but if you're dependent ACPI needs to go in first anyways, doesn't it?

    Umm. The particular PART of ACPI you depend on needs to go in first, yes.

    That's the whole point of topic branches. They allow you to separate out
    work to different areas, so that people who are interested in (say) the
    PCI-impacting ones can merge with one part, without having to wait for the
    other parts to stabilize.

    > I don't think the ACPI tree is dependent on PCI at least. Or at least I didn't
    > notice any problems in this area.

    The PCI tree merged the suspend branch from the ACPI tree. You can see it
    by lookin gat the PCI merge in gitk:

    gitk dc7c65db^..dc7c65db

    and roughly in the middle there you'll find Jesse's commit 53eb2fbe, in
    which he merges branch 'suspend' from Len's ACPI tree.

    So Jesse got these three commits:

    0e6859d... ACPI PM: Remove obsolete Toshiba workaround
    8d2bdf4... PCI ACPI: Drop the second argument of platform_pci_choose_state
    0616678... ACPI PM: acpi_pm_device_sleep_state() cleanup

    from Len's tree. Then look at these three commits that I got when I
    actually merged from you:

    741438b... ACPI PM: Remove obsolete Toshiba workaround
    a80a6da... PCI ACPI: Drop the second argument of platform_pci_choose_state
    2fe2de5... ACPI PM: acpi_pm_device_sleep_state() cleanup

    Look familiar? It's the same patches - just different commit ID's. You
    rebased and moved them around, so they're not really the "same" at all,
    and they don't show the shared history any more, and the fact that they
    were pulled earlier into the PCI tree (and then into mine).

    This is what rebasing causes.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-17 17:21    [W:0.045 / U:7.368 seconds]