    SubjectREVISED AGENDA -- Re: Linux Wireless Mini-Summit -- Ottawa -- July 22, 2008
    I revised the agenda based on the feedback from last week.
    Most changes are fairly minor, although I moved the vendor/distro
    round table after lunch to give us a chance to cover some in-progress
    work beforehand.

    As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I don't think we have enough
    time for work sessions on Tuesday. As others have pointed-out, there
    is plenty of time for extended discussions during the days at OLS.
    So I think we should keep Tuesday for more high-level design and
    development process discussions.

    Feel free to volunteer to cover any of the listed topics. Further
    suggestions to alter or augment the agenda are, of course, still
    welcome as well.

    Thanks!

    John

    ---

    3rd Linux Wireless Summit
    Ottawa, Canada

    Proposed Agenda

    0830 Meet & Greet

    Introductions and opening remarks

    0900 Status Reports

    Overview of where things stand today

    - 802.11n

    - QoS/Multiqueue

    - spectrum management

    - Mesh mode (802.11s)

    - RF kill

    1015 Break

    1030 Current Work

    Short presentations/discussions about work in progress

    - access point mode

    - cfg80211/nl80211
    - time to push to replace WEXT?
    - tool enhancements and/or userland support?

    - regulatory enforcement (802.11d, CRDA)

    - encrypted management frames (802.11w)

    - virtual hardware (mac80211_hwsim)

    - WiMAX

    1200 Lunch/Break (provided by HP)

    1300 Vendor/Distro Round Table

    Representatives from hardware vendors and Linux distributions
    discuss issues around cooperation between themselves and the
    development community, what we are doing well, and what problems we
    are causing for each other.

    1445 Break

    1500 Future work

    Short presentations/discussions about work that has previously
    been suggested or requested

    - power management
    - suspend/resume
    - power savings

    - lib80211 (code sharing w/ full MAC drivers)

    - rate scaling algorithms
    - minstrel
    - others?

    - userland MLME

    - userland driver implementation

    - organized testing?

    1645 Break

    1700 Maintainence Issues

    Round table discussion of issues related to maintenance of
    the wireless trees

    - trivial/cleanup patches
    - testing or other requirements?
    - should they have lower priority?
    - should they require ACKs from primary author?

    - submissions to -stable
    - who should drive it?
    - what policies?

    - rate scaling algs
    - driver-specific ok? what limitations?
    - build policies (part of mac80211.ko?)

    - questions/suggestions/complaints

    1800 Dinner/Break (sorry, no funding)

    2000 BoF/Break-out Sessions

    Impromptu and/or unscheduled discussions as desired by group
    participants

    --
    John W. Linville
    linville@tuxdriver.com

      Last update: 2008-07-15 20:39    [W:0.025 / U:69.048 seconds]